This will mostly hold reviews/reactions of manga, real books and scanlations, that I have read. 75% of which are yummy, yummy yaoi.
There will also be rants and raves about anime and life in general...

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Scarlet by Madarame Hiro

I might as well do this while I'm still up, no?



Title: Scarlet
Mangaka: Madarame Hiro
Genre: Yaoi, Drama
Status: Licensed by BLU (again... their site isn't up to date, but you can view their previous releases), here it  is on TokyoPop 

Story: There are 3 couples in this manga. 
The first couple, the first 2 chapters and the ones on the cover are Akio and Ryou(the blonde guy). Their story is a bit... strange, to say the least. It starts with Akio feeling sorry for Ryou, because he was always alone, since the other students were kinda intimidated by his looks. Then eventually they get into a sexual relationship. But Ryou still kept saying yes to every girl that approached him (stupid Ryou...), until one girl finally tried to get them to part ways. This is where the rape comes in. Things do eventually work out... kinda... They even live together at the end. But like I said, they have a weird relationship.
Akio and Ryou
The second couple, and my favorite, Harumi and Toki. Their story takes up the next 2 chapters of the manga. 
They are both office workers in the same company. Harumi, the smaller guy, has always been looking at Toki during the mornings in the elevator. Since Harumi was gay, and he thought himself to be plain and dull, he looked really different during the day than he was at night. One day (or night), Toki gets taken to a gay bar by his friends, and it happens that Harumi was there. As Toki was leaving, Harumi gathered up all his courage to chase Toki and ask him to have sex with him, to which Toki actually says yes!
For Harumi, what happened was a one night stand, but Toki seemed to have developed feelings for Harumi, and finally noticed that someone was looking at him in the elevator during the morning... So now, it's Toki's turn to try to convince the shy Harumi to be his lover... 

Harumi and Toki
The third couple, in the last chapter, are Naoki and Keito. Naoki is a gloomy stalker who confessed his feelings to the ever so popular Keito. Keito being a pretty free-spirited guy, accepts. They eventually live together, but Keito often wonders why he's been staying with an emo guy for so long (1 year) and decides to break up with him. This leads him to think back to the things that have happened between them and finds that he has fallen madly in love with Naoki.
Naoki and Keito

Art: The art is beautiful, but it took me some time to actually appreciate it. I kinda find their necks too long
The chibis are pretty cute
The three chibi couples. Scarlet extra.
but the deformed characters are... uh... you decide
Akio and Ryou. Read the manga to see what's actually going on in the pic >D
Review: Akio and Ryou's story is very dramatic. I really hated the girl that tried to tear them apart... and I hated it that Ryou was so weak... I wish some background was given as to why he was like that. He was not just clingy, but extremely stalkerish. He's lucky Akio seems not to mind, and even thinks that he's blessed that he's loved that much.
Harumi and Toki. I really liked them for some reason. Their story is so sweet. Harumi did annoy me for a while, but it's all good in the end.
Keito and Naoki. Their story is cute. Keito complains a lot how Naoki is unable to do things himself and acts like he doesn't care most of the time. But he enjoys taking care of Naoki and really dotes on him.
I would like to know more about all three couples and I was kinda hoping that Yamamoto, Akio's friend, had a story of his own... I liked him.
Yamamoto


I don't think there was any real censorship here, mainly because you couldn't see their d*cks. The sex scenes were really erotic and sensual which made me not mind that THAT part of their anatomy was missing.

Overall: If you don't mind the rape, which really didn't go on that long, this manga is really good and is a must have for any yaoi collector. The storylines aren't that typical for this genre and the art is nice. So... GO BUY IT NOW!

Thanks to the scanlation, I really really really wanted this manga, like I said the story isn't that common, and the characters aren't that bad to look at.

I tried to tell more of the story without giving too much. Hope I succeeded... I need more practice and I need to do this at a more decent hour (it's 4:31 am now)

No comments:

Post a Comment